Wednesday, October 10, 2012

"Somehow everything's gonna fall right into place...

...if we only had a way to make it all fall faster everyday"
Do you ever find yourself feeling this way? This is the intro lines to one of my all-time favorite songs by Paramore, called "Hallelujah" (give it a listen in your spare time!) But, doesn't Hayley sum it up pretty nicely with these lyrics? We know that in the long run, EVERYTHING (career, lifestyle, relationships, etc.) are going to work out because if we look back at our lives and the lives of others thus far, we see evidence of that. You made it through the awkwardness of middle school, college degree - check!, job interviews - done. So, obviously things work themselves out.

But, it can be hard to shake that nagging feeling of impatience - anxiously waiting to see how something will work out next. I have been guilty of this. I get so wrapped up in what the outcome of a certain situation will be that I don't take time to really, truly enjoy and embrace the journey. This reminds me of another one of my favorite quotes from yet another of my favorites (can you every really have too many?) Hope Floats. At the end of the movie, Sandra Bullock's voice-over reminds of this eloquent fact:
"Beginnings are scary; endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most." 
And, I'll take this quote a step further to convey my point: even if the beginning is not scary and the final outcome is not sad, the middle still should not be breezed through and taken for granted.

It's in the middle of things working themselves out that we work things out within our own selves. We grow more patient, or wiser, or simpler just grow in whatever way the situation allows us to. And this is what matters more than rushing to the end to see how it will work out.

Hopefully this ramble makes sense and speaks to some impatient soul out there anxiously waiting to see. Sometimes (okay, most times) I think I write more for my benefit than for the readers haha, but you guys still get the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!