Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Lessons from my Yoga Practice & Gratitude Challenge Update

Ever since I set out to practice better health habits, I have realized something. When it comes to my yoga practice, I find it hard to be motivated to practice alone. I find that I do much better with my focus and determination when I'm in a class. At first I rationalized that maybe this was due to the fact that I didn't want to "look bad" in front of everybody. But, then I thought that couldn't be the reason because I have always felt that yoga was more of a personal practice, not a competition among the participants.

At home with Yoga Zone on Hulu, I find it extremely difficult to pursue the poses. I confess, I pause the video to go do something else. Yet, whenever I'm in a class (admittedly, usually in the back row...), I don't really have a lot of time to look around for comparisons. I find it easy to focus on what I'm doing and listen to the instructor's voice.

So, what can I learn from this? From a practical point of view, I learned that I'm a lot more easily distracted at home than in a yoga studio. But, to take a broader view, I also learned that it helps to do things in a community of like-minded people. Because even if each person in the class is focused on their own mastery of movement, you can still feel a spirit of encouragement for you to master your own. And, it can be the same way with any endeavor. It helps to surround yourself with a solid support system of people who can motivate you to continue to achieve your goals.

Now, the gratitude challenge update...

It's been just about three days since I challenged myself to say thank you more, so here are the results as promised:

...I kinda lost track of the count, so I'm not really sure if I said "thank you" at least 15 times over the past 3 days, BUT I can tell you that being thankful has been on my mind a lot more! I had a wonderful little "conversation-over-coffee-at-Starbucks" with a friend the other day, and she reminded me that when things in life start to overwhelm you, it helps to write it down. This is because when you get past them - as you will get past them - you can look back and be grateful for the experience and for how far you've come.

So, again, cultivate a spirit of gratitude in any way you can! 

And as for speaking to strangers, I do that all the time at work, so challenge accepted, challenged accomplished...if that makes any sense.

Okie doke, that's all for now, happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!