Monday, April 1, 2013

Music Monday #10

I've decided that Music Monday is here to stay! Midweek Melody sounded cool at the time, but I think it was because I really wanted to share Alabama Shakes with y'all. But, to keep in the spirit of alliteration (and in an effort to keep myself consistent and current on this blog), I give you...

Finding a Better Way's new weekly line-up:
Music Mondays
Wellness Wednesdays
Friday (Froyo) with Friends!

So, there you have it! More about Wellness Wednesdays later, but for now, let's continue with Music Monday:

I often have mini epiphanies, and one such epiphany occurred this weekend. I recalled how unattractive I used to feel when I was younger and surrounded by new people, old friends, old crushes, you name it. I think most of us can relate to that unwelcome but all-too-familiar unattractive feeling. I considered this and concluded that somewhere along the way growing up, we learned a falsehood. We learned that in some way or another, we were not enough: not pretty enough, not chill enough, not funny enough - something was lacking. And, it happens subtly. It could have happened when you were at a youth conference and a really popular boy said that "all light-skinned black girls are prettier than dark-skinned black girls." Or, maybe it happened when girls were their meanest in middle school and reminded you that your hair was really short. Or maybe it happens whenever yet another crush is one-sided simply because he's just not that into you. Sometimes these seemingly insignificant occurrences somehow pop back into our psyche when we're feeling less than confident.

So...great epiphany Jasmin, right? But, this next part is what I really wanted to share with you. What can also happen is we unlearn these falsehoods and reject them each time they try to creep into our sub-conscience  While rejecting those insecurities, we can embrace the truth that we are all unique and special and beautiful in our own way, and no matter what, we always will be. Well, this thought simply makes me smile. And, speaking of smiling, in the most unattractive phases of the preteen (and sure, sometimes young adult) years, my dad always reminded me that no one is considered ugly if they have a  big smile on their face! So, let Vitamin C lead us in this notion with this oldie but goodie "Smile"!

Favorite Line: "Life - it ain't easy; it's so tough; it ain't easy. Whatcha gonna do, say whatcha gonna do?!? Put a smile on your face!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!