Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Becoming a Better Yoga Student

Ever since I took Beginner's Yoga as a Freshman, I have wanted to add 'yoga instructor' as another tool in my belt of talents. I just absolutely admired the eloquence with which a yoga instructor could lead a group into a beautiful practice of ancient yoga moves. This obsession to become an instructor hit its peak when I led a 10-minute group yoga exercise on a retreat with my church group last spring, and even more so when I briefly got to share some posture as a camp counselor this past summer. In these moments, I just felt absolutely certain that I could actually become an instructor! However, being the poor recent college grad that I am, of course I can't afford to get the proper training or certification right now...nor anytime in the foreseeable future. This realization set in hard earlier last fall. And, honestly, I haven't practiced much since then.

Tonight, for the first time in a long time, I resumed my practice with a local instructor at my neighborhood fitness center. This location is not as critically acclaimed as some other places in this big city, but I just loved the fact that our group was somewhat tucked away and left to privately practice this ancient art. I thoroughly enjoyed the session, and it made me realize that perhaps I hadn't fully embraced the idea of being a yoga student

I have been so focused on being an instructor this past year that even when I did practice alone in my room, I would do so as if in front of an audience. I would think to myself, "You should describe it to them this way" or "Maybe don't use that phrase, it takes too many breaths". So wrapped up in this inner dialogue, was I actually experiencing my own yoga practice? Maybe a little bit...but not really. 

Taking the lofty goal of yoga instructor off the table for now, perhaps, I can be more content in the position that I am - the student, ever-learning and ever-practicing. For now, I have indeed found a better way for approaching my yoga practice. Perhaps there's something in your life that you haven't been fully embracing due to staring at a loftier goal. Not that anything about your lifestyle has to drastically change, but maybe looking from a different perspective might ease some unconscious tension and do you some good. Just a thought.

Oh, and of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't share these beautiful reminders the instructor emphasized throughout the session:

Don't Force Anything, Relax and Be Still for a While, and Just Keep Breathing

See how seamlessly yoga tips can fit into everyday life? I mean, seriously, aren't the above, boldface phrases words to live by! 

Loving all this yoga-intertwined-into-life talk? Be sure to check out this post by Jenny Blake. It's just SUCH truth! 

2 comments:

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!