Friday, December 23, 2016

When all Else Fails, Just Strike a Pose & Smile


So, clearly I just had professional pictures done again like I did back when I turned a quarter of a century. And, I 100% enjoyed it. In fact, I think everyone should go to Groupon and find good deals to have your own personal photo shoot. Because, really, why not? That portraits session really got me thinking about the concept of smiling.

I think we have all at some point in our lives slapped a smile on our face in spite of feeling worried or stressed or frustrated about something going on in our personal lives. I think it's important to have people in your life that you can share those difficult things with, but I think that smiling-in-spite-of is a good practice, as well. Is this "faking it 'til you make it"? Perhaps, in a way, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. If you can find something to genuinely smile about, I think it helps you get to a better-feeling mental space to better deal with the personal challenge.

So, often, we are in our heads too much. We over-analyze how we're being perceived by others while simultaneously trying to process the perceptions we are being given. I know that in the last few months, I have definitely fallen victim to this cycle. It can be exhausting. But, maybe the smiling-in-spite-of principle can be applied here, as well.

I am coming to accept the fact that I tend to have an overly analytical mind. Especially when it comes to school/career, personal growth or ever-evolving relationships, which is basically, just life. I think as long as I strive to find the middle, some sort of balance, then that's about all I should expect for myself. To just try. So, sometimes you just have to smile at the situation, confusing as they may be.

This reminds me of a quote I heard and once wrote about on this blog from a short-lived TV Show Emily Owens MD:

"It's hard trying not to judge yourself, because we are aware of every mistake. We know our inner doubts, our hidden motivations, our failings. So, my wish for next year is to be easier on myself, focus less on the bad and more on the good. Really, just give myself a break"

Those words resonated with me four years ago, and they ring even more true to my life today. As we move into 2017, I encourage you all to just strike a pose (even if just in front of yourself in a mirror), smile, and give yourself and others a break more often than not. Stay golden, my friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!