Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Stay Young, Stay Free, Stay You & I'll Stay Me

There's this song I used to absolutely love running to called "Young Blood" by The Naked and Famous. It serves as today's Tuesday Tune (since I was driving the majority of the day Monday and missed out on Music Monday). The upbeat and melody is enough reason to love it, but for me, per usual, it's the lyrics that really captivate me. My favorite line goes as follows:

"We're only young and naive still
We require certain skills."



I give you permission to have a dance party of one to this song right now.

Isn't it great?


I recently bought this poster from Holstee's Poster Sale last week. It's a nice addition for my growing wall of inspiration. "Foolish" is a bit provoking. I'm not by any mean advocating we all act a fool. But, for me, it reminds me to stay silly. A reminder I appreciate. And, then, I thought about this song. 

I first heard this song when I had just recently graduated from college in 2012, and these words rang so true for me. Trying to navigate post-grad life totally felt like I was out of my element - missing the skills I needed to cope with the transition from that cookie-cutter K through college plan into the this-is-adulthood-do-whatever-you-want-in-the-sequence-you-want plan. 

I know I'm not alone with these "am I adulting right?" thoughts, These thoughts are most prevalent when it comes to thinking about our career paths and relationships. We are all too often critical of ourselves, of our actions. At least I know I am. I wonder how I come off to others, how they are perceiving me, how I perceive myself. I think a healthy dose of self-reflection and introspection is necessary, but there must be a balance.

There must be a healthy dose of love and acceptance for ourselves and for others. For all of their idiosyncrasies and charm. Children have this quality. To be silly and make their own fun. It's an amazing quality that we quickly unlearn in a world full of rules and order. Again, I feel there needs to be balance. Especially when we're interacting with others. We could pore over the research about social contracts and even the unspoken rules of "playing it cool" while dating in the modern age.

Or we can just be ourselves? Whatever that means for you. I feel like when we are honest about who we are and present that, ever-changing, dynamic individual to others, we have nothing to lose but fear and anxiety. We gain freedom.

I wrote the title of this blog off the top of my head because I just wanted it to rhyme. But, I really kinda like it. Isn't it liberating to feel that you're free to be you and I can be free to be me without the fear of judgment? So, just a simple reminder to you, my friends. Stay you! Whoever that happens to be at the moment. 
Another reason I just love Holstee! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!