Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Finding a Better Way to Pursue Passions

So, I have a confession to make. Here's the confession of a second-year medical student with a Masters degree in Public Health and a desire to take this blog to the next level. There are some days where I seriously question whether or not I will continue this journey towards becoming a physician. I have battled the feeling of academic inferiority ever since my sophomore year in high school when I got my first C as a final grade on a report. It was in Honors Geometry. The thing is, school work has never come easy to me. Contrary to popular belief, I actually am not a genius. I have pulled all-nighers to understand difficult material ever since middle school. I always had the take advantage of extra problem sets and tutors to really grasp challenging material. So, you can imagine that this struggle of academic confidence has amplified almost a thousand-found here in med school.

But, then I think about getting past all of the exams and the grueling late-night study sessions, and I envision a future where I'm working with a team of talented, healthcare professionals to improve the quality of life of our patients. That's when I remind myself that it is all totally worth it. 

Dr. Zubin Damania (aka ZDoggMD)
About two weeks ago, we had a presentation by Dr. Zubin Damania, CEO and Founder of Las Vegas-based Turntable Health. He spoke of "Healthcare 3.0" - the idea that we can achieve a healthcare system in which everyone - patients, health care providers, and administration are empowered. It was such an inspirational reminder of what I envision for my future of a member of the healthcare system. 









Similarly, he has a ton of videos on YouTube where he features his parodied songs hitting on important topics surrounding healthcare. So, here we have a physician who also makes music videos on the side. A serendipitous example of how you can eventually pursue a diverse array of passions. Check out ZDoggMD's personal shout-out to Finding a Better Way!





But, isn't that what life is all about folks? Being constantly inspired by different passions and pursuing them synergistically - honoring both without neglecting either. And, if your passion causes your path to change course, that's okay, too. I think Dr. Peter Prentice (not a real doctor) from The Mindy Project (a real show that I love): "You're allowed to change what you want in life, people do it all the time." And, I personally think that if you can try to stay as true as possible to your passions, you'll find that your path can align in such a magical way. 

So, maybe I will succeed in maintaining this blog, the vlog on YouTube, and anything else that I can think up along the way as I journey this path of becoming a physician. It's definitely a better mental way for me to proceed, anyway. 

On a different yet related note, I'm finding that studying in coffeeshops is so much better when I understand the material the first time around. Thank you, Behavioral Sciences unit, thank you. You're making this Psych major and MPH in Behavioral Sciences & Health Promotion master smile a little bit brighter. 

Stay golden, my friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!