Monday, November 21, 2016

Home.


I'm home! 


Being home for a whole week for Thanksgiving break is quite the privilege. It's kinda awkward because I still have classes that are recorded online, so technically I'm still in study-mode. But, I will tell you it is refreshing to study in a new space. Well, a new yet familiar place. White Rhino Coffee. So, turns out writing and studying in coffeeshops at home is just as effective as when in Lubbock.





So, there's this shirt that I bought when I was a the thrift shop, and it's super comfortable. I also love that it has the outline of Texas on it. And, I like it's time-tested truth: "Home is where my heart is". I absolutely love being around my family. And, the older I get, the more I appreciate being home to spend time with them altogether. I drove from Lubbock to Dallas for the first time all by my lonesome this break and it was glorious! I love the company I've had over the years on mini-road trips, but there was something particularly spectacular about traveling for a substantial distance solo. One of the magical moments was turning in to the street where my parents live. It's like each time I return, the trees are more majestic, the skies are more expansive. And, since it's Fall, the mix of colors were absolutely amazing. (Sorry I didn't take a photo, I'm a responsible driver *wink, wink* - no but really! I don't know why I winked). Then, I drove into the driveway, opened the door, and was greeted by these wonderful humans who I'm lucky enough to call my family.

Home truly is where you heart resides. And that means that no matter where you go in the world, if you can tap into your heart and find comfort in memories, then you're home. No matter if your childhood home is still the place where you parents reside or not, wherever the people you grew up with are, is home. This is a simple truth. I'm not blogging anything ground-breaking epiphany. I just thought I'd share the reminder because in this hustle-bustle society, it's so easy to forget life's simple truths.

That somewhat brings me to today's selection for Music Monday, the most beautiful cover of Pat Benetar's "We Belong" that I have ever heard. It's done by an artist named Today Kid.


I first heard it from the Chase commercial (below). Which is an absolutely precious commercial.
(I'll address another one of my favorite topics - interracial dating in another post, by the way!)


I chose this song for today's post because the style in which he does this cover is very centering to me. My favorite line remains the same as when it is the original rendition and it comes towards the end/resolution of the song, after the potentially sad lines: "We can't begin to know it, how much we really care". I love this line. I feel that it can apply to so many different areas of life. In this song in particular, it's a romantic relationship that continues to unfold. With family, we can come to learn how much we really care for those once super-duper annoying little brothers. Similarly, in the spirit of connecting with others, it can even apply to how much you can come to care for those people who you've only just met. For me, that line represents all of that, and this song just makes my heart feel super happy.

Welp, that's all I've got for today, folks! Hope you enjoy the song, and if nothing else, the sentiment.

Stay golden, my friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!