Friday, September 18, 2015

Finding a Better Way to Thrive Academically

As I mentioned last week, we had our first exams last week as first-year medical students. I was just so happy to merely survive it. I immediately hung out with my classmates and took lots of pics to celebrate getting over that hump.

Snapshots of Pure Bliss 

Coming back to the next wave of material made me consider how often in school I have striven to just merely get by. As if I were just trying to stay afloat, trying not to get swept away by the undertow. These past few weeks have been no different. But, I know there is a better way. It's just a matter of finding a way that works best for you to thrive rather than struggling to survive in school, or in any life endeavor, for that matter.

Dr. John Pelley is a Professor of Medical Education at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, School of Medicine (aka my school!). He and others at the institution have developed the Expert Skills Program in which they promote action and sleep as a way of enhancing learning. Take a watch at the TED Talk below!

Dr. Pelley's  2014 TEDxTexasTechUniversity Talk

If you've been following me for a while, you know how much of a fan I am of TED Talks, so it was very exciting to have the opportunity to interview someone who has given one. In our conversation, we discuss this idea of thriving in school rather than struggling to get by. Sometimes a fresh new perspective facilitates a brand new approach to life-long learning. Hopefully you'll find some of the nuggets of wisdom helpful! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!