Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Finding a Better Way to Get Restful Sleep and Let the Fever Run Its Course

Hey guys! Here we are again for a Music Monday on a Tuesday. Yes, yes, I'm considering officially switching it to Tuesday's Tune...Nahh I don't like it! We'll see!

Anyhoo, as the blog title reads, I endured a surprise fever this weekend. THIS weekend of all weekends. I have my first big-girl medical school exams Wednesday and Friday, and believe you, me, I was ready for a weekend full of intense review. I got caught up with all the material on Thursday, marked out tasks in my planner, and reserved a study room for Friday through Monday night. Yeah, I was on top of things alright. I even went out to brunch with my lab partners before starting the 'big review' proud of having set up such a sweet deal.

The Hot Cocoa I got at brunch early Friday afternoon when I felt a SLIGHT tinge in my throat. Little did I know what would come next...
Then, as I was casually studying in said study room on Friday night, I could not help but notice the irritation in my throat and the stuffiness in my nose. I thought it was just some sort of placebo effect from having dissected and studied the Nasal Cavity and Pharynx just days before. But, then the sneezing happened. And, then the chills. And, then, I knew I had no choice but to go get medicine and go home to get some sleep.

Speaking of sleep. Remember that little line I said about sleep being something that should never be neglected? Welp, I was a hypocrite last week, and I severely shortened my sleep daily to ensure I had sufficiently covered everything by Friday. Did I mentioned I have my FIRST big-girl med school exams Wednesday and Friday, though?! As it turns out, sleep deprivation + (admittedly) mild stress over the aforementioned big-girl exams = a fever. A good ol' fashioned, run its course fever. I couldn't positive-think my way out of the sore throat, sinus congestion, body aches, and general discomfort that lasted a full 48 hours.

So, why tell you this tale of the weekend of super-studying that never was? To reiterate the fact that sleep really should never be neglected. And, this time, I mean it! One of my final papers in grad school was about the health benefits of sleep; I should have known better. But,then again, don't we all know better? I also tell you this to remind you that sometimes you just really can't stop the inevitable. You've got to let certain things run its course, and go with the flow of life without fretting.

The day that I started feeling a little better, Sunday, I actually got a lot done. I woke up - too late and too groggy to make it to church, unfortunately. But, after I showered, I felt it was time to clean up. Like, deep clean. I took all my recyclable items to get recycled. And, I spared my washer and dryer and went to the laundromat to wash all my sheets and comforter and towels all at once. Shout out to the nice older gentlemen who helped a sista out with getting a laundry card!. 'Preciated that. Unfortunately there are no pictures of these adventures since my phone was dying.

Nevertheless, when I got back and folded up all my clothes and linens and laid in a fresh bed. I literally felt the fever leaving my body, having run its course. Having taught me an important lesson. One must be sure to tend to their physical and mental well-being first, and then proceed to rock an awesome study plan. A reasonable sleep schedule should not feel like a luxury that I could do without, but rather a necessity that enables me to do the very best I can. Similarly, clearing the clutter from my apartment bedroom also helped to clear the mental clutter. I encourage anyone to do this. Also, it's remarkable how disorganized a closet can get even when all you wear everyday is scrubs.... Having a clear space to rest, and resting fully, is what healed me. Well, that and the electrolytes in Gatorade, the comfort of throat-soothing soup, and TheraFlu. Nevertheless, I want to remind y'all to create an environment conducive for not just sleep, but for rest, as well.

My Weekend: Soup, Gatorade, Tissues, Netter's Atlas. The total exam preparation package. 
 Another healing aspect of this weekend was getting checked in on by my classmates who are along this crazy journey with me. Sometimes sickness socially isolates you, so thank goodness for text messaging. Lastly, some good acoustic music helped mellow me out, too. And, there is this acoustic cover that I am currently obsessed with, so it deserves to be this week's Music Monday.

Boyce Avenue's rendition of "Demons" by Imagine Dragons
Favorite Lines
"Don't get too close,
It's dark inside.
It's where my demons hide.
It'w where my demons hide."

***********************

Your eyes they shine so bright,
I wanna save that light.
I can't escape this now, 
Unless you show me how"

Was that not one of the most beautifully done covers you have ever heard? If not, go listen to the original, appreciate that, then listen to this one, and LOVE IT. Or, don't, it's really not that big of a deal. :-) The other thing I love, besides their artistic ability to remix the beat and beautifully harmonize, are the lyrics. After perusing some internet opinion, I came to the conclusion that this song is basically a plea from one person to the other with whom they are in relationship to look away from their "demons", their flaws. It's like the one person is trying to push the other away before those flaws are revealed. This is melancholy, at first. But, then, they say. "I can't escape this now, unless you show me how." And, that, my friends, is the power of genuine relationships. We all have flaws that we would rather keep from those we want to get close to. Flaws make you vulnerable. It's uncomfortable, disconcerting. Yet, we need each other to bring out the best in us by helping us get through the messes of us. If that makes sense. I just really wanted to rhyme. But, I hope you get the point. Be open, be vulnerable.

This post was full of a lengthy string of thoughts. So, to put it all together: get restful sleep to heal and replenish, go with the flow of life and don't fret, and boldly share your vulnerability with those you care about and who care about you, too. Happy Tuesday, my friends. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!