Monday, June 8, 2015

Finding a Better Way to Allow: Music Monday #21

The impetus of change can feel overwhelming - especially when you're finding it hard to go with the wave of change. A long time ago, I wrote a blog post entitled "The Art of Letting Go". It wasn't until recently, however, that I have been learning The Art of Allowing. I truly have come to understand what this means in my life. Sometimes we make decisions that takes us into the unknown; sometimes others make decisions that impact us greatly. Regardless the source, in order to allow something new, we've got to learn how to peacefully let go of the old. And to release with gratitude seems to be a powerful way to allow the new.

I heard this song a couple of weeks ago. This wasn't my first time hearing it, but this time, the last chorus really resonated with me:

Thank you Providence
Thank you disillusionment
Thank you nothingness
Thank you clarity
Thank you, thank you silence

Earlier this semester, when my stress levels were peaking trying to balance work, school and life's daily challenges, I made a point to walk. Now, usually I prefer to run to work out - especially that nice time of year in Dallas where the weather isn't totally sizzling hot (It's called AprMay, I'm pretty sure and it only lasts about two weeks, in total...). However, around this time, I felt the need to slow down. Slow everything down. My pattern of speaking, my racing thoughts, even my workout. Walking through this trail near my house, I took it one step further and turned off my music (...or maybe I was listening to some talk on YouTube...or maybe an audio book, but I digress); I made a point to get completely silent. And, I realized that it is in those silent, meditative moments of nothingness that we can receive clarity. Clarity of thought, clarity in decisions. (But I admit, I wasn't completely "unplugged" and I took these photos - see below!)


  


This silent walk and many after it have helped me to regain perspective. Sometimes we get disappointed with how things turn out in life - or at least how they currently seem to be turning out. Dreams unfulfilled can really make us feel disillusioned. Nevertheless, we can be thankful because these events have the potential to yield a serene feeling of knowing that everything happens the way they're supposed to - it's Providence. You never know which one of life's little miracles are at the next step. Sure, when you're stuck in between, you can feel a little hesitant, unsure, doubtful. But, just wait. Be silent. Proceed on. And, above all, be grateful for life's beautiful journey.


Alanis Morissette's "Thank U" Lyric Video


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!