Tuesday, March 19, 2013

SO Inspired! Beach, Ocean and related topics

Alright you guys - I'm really excited to share this. I've discovered so much in the past week and a half, but I'll try to keep it concise and coherent.

About two weeks ago, I read this amazing article about how the beach affects us emotionally, and I was instantly inspired by the research being done in this area. Being the avid internet surfer that I am, I quickly uncovered some more pretty cool (to say the least) initiatives in this arena of exploring how the ocean affects us and what we can do to save it to keep it that way:
* BLUEMIND Summit
--- imagine marine biologists, psychologists, neuroscientists coming together to discuss this idea of the ocean-mind-body connection, and conservation research, and other diverse topics - does this not sound wonderful?! Wallace J. Nichols started these BLUEMIND Summits a few years ago. I just thought this was so amazing. We all know how much I love being inspired by talks!
I dug up this favorite ocean moment:
 Summer 2010 on the Atlantic!
This was a time when interacting with the ocean
definitely sucked away the stress of taking Physics! 
* Healing Seas Foundation
--- having been a Psychology major, I love learning about the innovative therapy practices, and healing with surfing is one of the most intriguing initiatives I've seen!
* The Fear Project
--- again, that whole Psychology and ocean connection is so incredibly interesting to me!

These experts know exactly what they're talking about. There is something so amazing about the ocean from every point of view: marine biology, neuroscience, psychology, surfing - you name it!

Wanna know the coolest part? I actually got the opportunity to chat with Wallace J. Nichols! I don't think I need to explain to you how incredibly exciting it is to be able to connect with great thinkers, but I will - IT IS AWESOME. In my opinion, he has totally sparked a whole new wave of research and activism related to connecting to the ocean, and I'm just excited to be in the midst of it all. Moreover, I'm looking forward to continually sharing this innovative information with you guys and keeping you posted on updates!

I am just so abundantly grateful for these signs from the universe directing me to this research. I really love all this talk about the mind-body-ENVIRONMENT connection because honestly it is all inextricably connected. The air we breath, the sunshine we feel, the fruits and vegetables from the earth that gives our bodies fuel -- all of these aspects of the environment make us feel good. And those feelings inevitably promote well-being.

Recently, I met up with a friend, and she was explaining to me her reasons for deciding to become a vegan. She said that for her, it's her way of decreasing suffering in the world by decreasing the suffering of the animals. And, she wasn't trying to convince me that I should take on her decision or anything like that, she was just sharing a way in which she has found to better connect with our planet. That really resonated with me because it confirms the fluidity and omnipresence of this mind-body-environment concept.

So, that was a lot, I know, but I hope reading this post gives you the same rush of inspiration that it gave me to write!

And, but of course, no beach-related post is complete without sharing just a few good "beach music" songs that I've been chilling out to for the past couple of days:

"Cape Dory" - Tennis (recall from that other post)

"Take Care" - Beach House; first heard on one of my all-time favorite episodes of New Girl, "Injured"...'nuff said =) 

"Edge of the Ocean" - Ivy; first heard in 9th grade on Grey's Anatomy and have always loved the lyrics!

"West Coast" - Coconut Records; a mellow tune that makes me wanna go to San Francisco

"Ocean Avenue" - Yellowcard; an old favorite that is excellent for a running playlist

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!