Monday, November 19, 2012

On Academic Decisions

Have you ever had the feeling that you went to the wrong school or chose the wrong major? If you answered "yes" to either or both of these questions, I think it's safe to say that you are not alone. Lots of people have felt this way at one point or another. Except for those precious few who have never had a single academic doubt ever (no offense, of course, more power to them). For the rest of us, I think this apprehension is a natural. Especially, when you're navigating through these vague twenties or in between schooling.

So, in the spirit of "we're all in this together" (hey, I wasn't that obsessed with High School Musical, but this song is awesome!), I wanted to dispense a bit of advice as I continue to tread this path and conjure up various "far-fetched" plans as pertains to my future.

Re-evaluate: Where Am I and How Did I Get Here? 
It is so important to take moments in your life to simply stop: quiet your mind and assess where you are presently and consider the routes that led you to that point. That's for any life circumstance, good or bad. If you don't want to end up at that point again, you will know what pitfalls to avoid. If you like the way things are going, you will continue to look for similarly opportunities.

Rebuild: Add to Your Swag
When you're "in between", you can take that time to build on skills or do something you haven't yet been able to do. Take courses you might need in the next step - wherever that may be. Take up an interesting class if you can - like a dance class or something! I see it as adding building blocks to your personality and skill set, giving yourself some substance, some swag. (hahaha! sorry, if you know me, you KNOW how hilarious it is for me to try to be cool and use this word. But, regardless, you get the point.)

Rediscover: Again, what are YOU passionate about?
I can't stress this point enough in my posts these days. It's truly valuable to consider your passions as they evolve and to ensure that you're at least trying to connect with them in as many ways as you possibly can.The first step is to remind (or inform) yourself of what these passions are. Once you've done that, pursue your passions. Figure out what that looks like for you and do that.

And, let me say, I highly recommend Jenny Blake's Life After College book and blog for useful exercises and inspiration to keep on truckin'. Check it out even if you're still in college or years into life after college!

As always, hope this helps someone, anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!