Friday, January 11, 2013

warm weather I welcome you with wide open arms!

There's a lot of w's in that title. I think I like alliteration. Anyway, I just HAD to share this thought right quick.

I went outside for a run a while ago and to my pleasant surprise, sunshine hit my face and I felt the 64-degree weather all around me. It. was. amazing. It helped me realize something. Let me explain.

It's not just because I dislike the cold weather. But, don't get me wrong - I do not enjoy the cold weather. I mean, I know this is Texas and weather is extremely variable, but I do not like winters. I don't like my skin feeling so dry all the time, I don't like my hair being damaged by unforgiving wintry winds. I love scarves, but I don't really care for coats. I think you get the point: I'm not a huge fan of Winter.

But, Spring? Springs are my favorite. I just love the burst of warmth and cool breezes the Spring can bring. Again, I know Texas weather constantly goes from one extreme to the other, but generally speaking, I enjoy Spring.

So, why am I blabbering about seasons? This is what I realized on my walk outside (...on my way to that run...): I may not prefer the winter, but they're an excellent metaphor for renewal. I see bundling up in warm clothes and staying in the house as time for hibernation, time for reflection. In a way, it gears you up for a new beginning, for the sunshine.

In fact, the Winter allows me to appreciate the Spring that much more. This idea reminds me of a line from one of my favorite songs by Jason Mraz, 93 Millions Miles. He says, "sometimes it may seem dark, but the absence of the light is a necessary part." I feel this to be absolutely true. How could one even recognize light if not for the dark? Meaning: experiencing those unpleasant situations or circumstances allow you to really appreciate more favorable situations or circumstances. It's like, that's the whole point of growing through rough or less-than-preferred experiences, right?

Just a thought. Enjoy unseasonably nice weather if you get it! Unless, of course, you enjoy the cold - in that case, happy winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!