Monday, January 14, 2013

simple.

I have been earnestly trying for the past hour to focus on these Powerpoint slides for Epidemiology, but I'm sitting in Starbucks, and when I sit in Starbucks, I get inspired to blog. (It's the darnedest thing! I think it's the ambiance...).

Not only that, but I also just figured out the sequence for a degree plan that I can be happy with (even if it changes, this is a feat worthy of celebrating), AND I heard from a friend this morning who is just so completely balanced, it's overwhelmingly inspiring.

And, so I jotted down some thoughts, and this is what came out:

I’m beginning to think most things in life are simple, we just make them more complicated. I think it’s possible for a situation to be complex, with a bunch of intricacies, but not complicated. Complication lends itself to frustration. But, complexity lends itself to appreciation. For example, looking at a remarkable piece of artwork, like the architecture of a grand building, you can appreciate the beauty in all of its complexity. I think life’s experiences are the same way. We can choose to look at them as complicated calculus problems to which we keep failing to find the solution. Or, we can choose to take a step back, admire the complexity (which, by the way, creates our character), and then break it down to be as simple as we can manage. It reminds me of the quote by Albert Eistein, “everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” Which also reminds me of the title of one of my favorite songs by Tristan Perryman, “Simple as it should be.” When you strip a situation of all of its melodrama and extreme emotions, you can get a calmer perspective. And, then, and only then can you truly accept that everything happening is truly as simple as it should be. 

So, there you have it! I hope this makes sense. And, I hope it encourages you to take a calmer, more mindful perspective on...well, everything. Oh! And, one last quote this reminds me of:

"The art of simplicity is making peace with your complexity." - India Arie ("Wings of Forgiveness). Couldn't have put it any simpler myself!

Okay, now I'm behind schedule - yikes! But, this impromptu post was SO worth it. Happy Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!