Saturday, December 31, 2011

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose

Perhaps maybe one of my most favorite quotes of all time, this phrase sums up perfectly what I am feeling as we go towards yet another new year - with clear eyes focused on the present and full hearts peacefully anticipating the future, we can't lose in this ongoing battle of self-improvement and fulfillment in life.

So, on this last day of what was the year 2011, I'd like to reflect not on resolutions or changes to be made for the future, but rather on how to peacefully say goodbye to the past. A few days ago, I happened upon (okay, I sought out) an old journal of mine - one from four years ago - and marveled at how awesome I once was. It sounds vain, I know, and it is. But, I sat there and read pages upon pages of intriguing insight on past situations. It revealed that I had, indeed, lost that deep insight and that peace mind and well-being in my life. So, initially I resolved to get back to that person I had once been. Then, shortly thereafter, I entered into the sad zone and felt that I had already developed too many negative habits that will prevent me from ever being that thoughtful, hopeful young girl again. Pretty depressing, eh? So, after a day or two of wallowing in this regretful state of mind, I realized why you're not supposed to call up old boyfriends and ask them what happened to your relationship (it has a connection, I promise).

Y'see, we are meant to regress to the past, because, quite simply, you can't. You can never go back, neither can you ever jump ahead, you can only move forward being present in that moment. One step at a time. The truth is I am not that same individual who I was four years ago, but I have evolved. The key is to learn to admire the person I am now, just as much as I did the person I was in the past, accepting flaws and all. It's innocent, affirming even, to take occasional, reflective glances at the past and to consider wisely the future, but the most important thing to keep in mind is that you only have this moment, this instant to be the person you want to be - and that's what you focus on.

So, with a smile, I say "see ya around" girl I once knew, and with even greater joy I say "hey you there in the mirror!" as we progress towards yet another year of physical, mental and spiritual health!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!