Monday, August 17, 2015

Finding a Better Way to... Not Panic (aka Music Monday #27)

Oh hey guys! Welp, survived the first two weeks of medical school - woo hoo! So, the biggest lesson I've learned thus far (besides how to draw the Brachial Plexus in 17 seconds, of course) is that I first must not panic. Let me explain what I mean.

One can become easily overwhelmed when presented with mountains of information in a short period of time. However, I'm thinking that panicking about it only leads to paralysis which leads to procrastination. That's the pattern for me, anyway. The thing about that domino effect is - there is actually no time to waste. Solution? Cut it at its source! First, do not panic. I think this is a practical approach to life, as well. Inevitably, we're going to be presented with a number of variables in any phase of life which we will have to adjust to accordingly. I'm not advocating throwing caution to the wind. I consider myself fairly cautious, actually. But if we can take two deep breaths...and then take two more...and then think clearly to how to approach the new challenges, I think it might be more effective. I've also learned that I literally cannot verbalize the phrase, "I am behind". I've heard a lot of my classmates say this and I dare not utter the words. Dramatic? Yes. But, I feel that it's a psychological thing for me. If I say, with conviction, "I am behind" or "I'm feeling overwhelmed", my subconscious takes over and is like,"okay here we go, let's stress out and fret and not actually absorb the information!" But, that's just me. Everyone has a different study/motivation style, so to thine own self be true. But, whatever you do, don't panic.

Today's song choice might be a big cliche, but it is no less effective if you take the chorus to heart.

Bob Marley, "Three Little Birds"

Favorite Line...obviously...
Don't worry about a thing,
'Cuz every little thing, gonna be alright

I have been constantly reminding (and sometimes plain ol' convincing) myself that every little AND big thing is going to be alright. I know that's easier said than believed, but it might be easier to believe than we think. If that makes sense. My point is this - it all works out in the end. There's intricacies in between, but take it one step at a time. 


What I wake up seeing everyday :-)
What you would see!




Meanwhile, take a moment to look at some of the wall art around my apartment. These reminders help me stay true to the words above. You should find what works for you too! Oh! And, just for kicks and giggles, vote on your favorite quote in the poll to the right! Happy Monday, folks. 


On the door to my bathroom, clever eh? Shout out to my mama! 


1 comment:

  1. Nice update on your medical school experience. It's great that you are planning for the long haul and creating a strategy for success!

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!