Monday, July 13, 2015

Finding a Better Way to Smile (Music Monday #24)

Practicing yoga in nature,
old pic - not from this morning's class
Hello blog-o-sphere! First off can I please just say how incredible it feels to do yoga in the morning?! Words cannot describe. I forgot the feeling! I ended up going to the morning session today rather my usual Monday early evening session because a dinner got switched from Saturday to Monday. It wasn't until after I confirmed my attendance at the newly set day that I realized this change would mean I would miss my last yoga session at the studio before I move! Naturally, I was bummed. For like, 24 full hours. Then, I remembered the Monday morning sessions that I usually didn't intend.And, like I said - it's just a different feeling doing yoga in the morning versus the evening. Even though it wasn't what I originally planned on, it was an invigorating change, once I welcomed it.

Which got me thinking about "things not going according to plan". It's easy for me to go with the flow of change with things like yoga sessions or even having to defer entering into medical school, like I did last year. But, with some other things - not so much. Not literally but quite figuratively I feel like I leave a comfort zone kicking and screaming in other areas of my life - especially when it comes to personal growth, relationships, and such like. We often hear that God opens doors for us. Over the past couple of months, it has become abundantly clear to me that He also emphatically closes - nay, SHUTS, doors, too. Which is not as fun as an open door, trust me. So, what do make of these disappointments or unexpected setbacks? What do you do when you feel discouraged or in a rut? I've not quite figured it out, and something tells me navigating through those waters is different for everybody. So, why not just smile? What else are you gonna do?

I'm not advocating smiling to hide your pain. I think repressing painful emotions is a sure way to have them erupt at the most inconvenient times. Conversely, smiling in spite of the pain requires a subtle strength that facilitates personal growth. I'm convinced that smiling is a better way of coping. So, smile. And enjoy TWO song suggestions for today.

Kirk Franklin's "Smile"

Favorite Lines
I know God is working, so I smile
Even though I've been here for a while, I smile
*******************
Sure would hate to see you give up now
You look so much better when you smile, so smile 

And, here's another one. Which, I may or may not have already used on a Music Monday post before...feel free to check, I'm not going to at this moment. 


 Vitamin C's "Smile"

Favorite Lines:
But, you get what you give in this life that we live
And all that you do come back to you
Life, it ain't easy, it's so tough, it ain't easy,
So, whatcha wanna do, whatcha wanna do
Put a smile on your face!

It's plain and simple, but not easy. Takes practice and diligence. So, what puts a smile on your face? 

Lastly, speaking of smiling. Here's my Love the Skin You're In (aka Glow & Tell Challenge) Update:

I have been using Mary Kay's Botanical Effects skin care products for 12 days now, and I do think there's a bit of a glow there! Maybe it's the lighting. You be the judge. But, I can definitely say that my skin feels SO much softer and smooth! It's just very refreshing to have a skin care regimen with products where you can almost immediately tell the difference. Morning & Night - cleanser, toner, moisturizer. Twice a week - skin mask! It's takes 5 minutes, tops, and it's just so refreshing. 
That's my health & wellness tip for the week. Whatever products you choose, just stay consistent! 

And, don't forget friends, smile :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!