Sunday, August 26, 2012

Think BIG with small acts!

During my senior year of high school, our school launched this new global awareness initiative with a department dedicated to Diversity & Global Education. The main motto emphasized was to
"think globally, but act locally"
 The spirit with which college students possess during election years, when some of my peers are launching initiatives all over campus, reminds of this charge.

What I love about activism and awareness is that it can pretty much subscribe to any cause in which you have interest. In my opinion, no one thing is more important that the other. It's all a matter of personal preference. So, I write this entry not to use as a soapbox for my particular interest but to encourage all to stand for whatever or whoever you believe in. Even if it's yourself!

(Actually, believing in yourself - in big ways or small - is an absolutely admirable cause if I ever heard of one!)

Thus, believing in yourself is the example I'll use to demonstrate how one can think globally (the 'BIG' acts) but act locally (the 'small acts!') So, if I believe in myself, I have big, lofty goals that I wish to pursue in my life. I wish to make an impact in the lives of others. Therefore, every time I interact with a stranger, it's a moment full of kindness. Each time I'm with friends or acquaintances, I'm purposefully seek to accommodate them in whatever way I can, in that moment. These are the small acts that can be achieved daily. The big act comes when I continue to offer kindness to others with my job in the health and fitness field. And, one day, I contribute to the team of people that help a client achieve seemingly insurmountable weight loss goals. Which, in turn, inspires a complete community initiative to live healthier lives. That's the big act. And, it all started with an ounce of belief in myself that grew into an overflowing fountain of self-assurance and perseverance.

Life is a collection of little moments, and we create a life for ourselves with what small acts we decide to do in those little moments. If we act deliberately each day to achieve little victories, before we know it, we will accomplish those lofty goals.

The same thing goes for service and activism. You might feel that you're only a small piece of a bigger issue. (And, that's true. We're all just one of many in almost every sense of the word.) But, that doesn't mean we matter any less. What you do, does matter.

So, this post, like many before it, might have gotten a little sidetracked but the main point is this: if nothing else, just do something! Think big with small acts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful, open and helpful, we're all on this journey together!